Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Year, A New Me


Well its that time of the year again when we all make New Years Resolutions and vow to workout at 5x a week, never to eat breads or sweets ever again and run in the New York City Marathon in October. And while we tend to remain pretty determined for the first month or so, we are all destined to fall off the band wagon. Maybe its because we set the bar too high from day one and forget that it takes weeks or months NOT days to achieve our goals. That's why this year I have set some easy(er) goals that I am pretty sure I can complete by the end of 2012.

For me, most of 2011 was great. The start of 2011 coinsided with second semester of my senior year in college which to say was a blast, then I graduated and it became summer. Even though I was working long hours in NYC and then finally landed a full time job in August, I was still happy because I could be outside all the time, go to the beach and read and just relax. Then September came and I got stuck in my usual routine, and I began to realize how much I missed college and all my friends and just stopped doing things that I love and make me happy. So this year I plan to do some things to make me happier and here they are:

1. Okay so this may sound a little vain BUT my most important goal is to be 115 pounds by the end of the year. Since coming home I have put on a few pounds thanks to mom's cooking and the ice cream that she always seems to buy even though we all insist on her not. Its not that I want to be this weight because I think it will make me happier. But really when I was thinner at school, I was happier, looked healthier and just overall felt better. I was running all the time with no problems, I could fit into all my clothes, felt comfortable in my bikini and overall felt cleanier/healthier (not sure how to describe it). Now I wake up and feel gross from the inside out. Therefore my goal is to start eating cleaner, like I was at school, and to get back into running and finally loose those stubborn last 8 pounds and get healthier. I also really want to start lifting more and getting muscle definition. I don't want to just be skinny, I want to be fit and have people look at me and go "wow she's got muscle"!

2. To add to my weight loss goals, I want to run a 10k by October. I've always said I hated running, even though in high school I played field hockey and lacrosse, but really what it comes dow to is I have terrible knees. There is not a day that goes by where they are not hurting for some reason. So running long distances has always been a struggle for me. But this year, I plan on finding a training schedule and sticking to it. Last summer (2010) I was running a lot, my knees felt great and I ran a 3k in 25 minutes. Knowing I did this, I know I can do a 10k, I just need to get lighter and STICK to the plan.

3. My other goal, is to find a roommate and get an apartment of my own hopefully all by the end of the year. If I find a roommate but am still looking for a place by December, I would be okay with that too but really its time to move out. Being at home is great for many reasons, like saving a ton of money on rent/utilities/food, etc. but I think its making my quality of life a little worse for the wear. I don't get along with my mom all the time (currently she hates me) plus to achieve my weight loss goals, there are too many distractions and temptations at home.

4. Overall I really just want to get happy again. I really do think that seasonal depression is real because I definitely have it. Maybe its time to move somewhere warm abut not right now. I think its time to take up a new hobby and get back in the happy mode :)

Sorry for the rant! What are your resolutions for this year?
xoxo Katelynn

No comments:

Post a Comment