Monday, March 5, 2012

Book Club!


I've been in quite a rut when it comes to a good book lately, hence why I haven't done a book club post in a while, so I am going to post about a book I read a few summers ago that I consider to be one of the best books I have ever read. It's called, The Book Theif.


By: Markus Zusak

"Set during World War II in Germany, the story follows Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist, books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau."- courtsey of Amazon.com

I am a history, WWII geek so this book was made for me. But what makes this book so special in my mind is the unique choice for the narrator, death. I have never read a book where the narrator is not someone who is directly related to the characters in one way or another. It is so unique how the author took death and turned him into almost a real person and had him tell this enchanting store. He is totally removed from the situation but is always there watching over her and keeping tabs on her life. I thought this alone made the book something special and worth the read.

This was definitely a book I could NOT put down. It was a few summers ago that I read it, but I remember when I finished it like it was yesterday. I was at the gym and decided to pass on my normal eliptical/treadmill routine so I could sit on the bike and finish. So there I was, sitting on the stationary bike balling my eyes out as I finished the book. Can you say embarassing?! Well at that point I didn't care because the ending was so good yet so sad yet so perfect. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, as it is an easy read but the younger ones may not understand the true meaning behind the book. Which is the ability of books to feed our souls and comfort us in times of need.

Hope you all get a chance to read this book. It's definitely worth it.
Enjoy!
xoxo Katelynn

No comments:

Post a Comment