Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Maddness!

I don't think I have done too many posts about my love for sports, but I am a sports FANATIC haha.
A friend recently told me that the weeks between the Super Bowl and March Madness are the worst weeks ever for sports fans, and indeed they are. Football is my sport and the NY Giants are my team (woohoo Super Bowl Champs!) but my favorite time of the year is March Madness. I love college basketball. I grew up a Duke fan but went to UCONN so I am spoiled when it comes to great teams. I mean they won back to back years, Duke in 2010 and UCONN in 2011, so I am one lucky girl.

Duke's Seth Curry reacts after making a 3-point shot in the second half Duke's 75-58 win over North Carolina in an NCAA college basketball game for the championship of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Sunday, March 13, 2011. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)
2010 Duke Championship Team

2011 UCONN Championship Team

It's hard to say who I was happier for. I was in Italy when Duke won and half of the kids on my study abroad program were from Kansas so watching them lose early and seeing Duke win was amazing! They have always been my team and I think Coach K is the best coach in the league and these kids deserved it. But it was my senior year at UCONN when they won. I saw them make it to the Final Four 2 years earlier which was awesome but nothing compared to this. There was a mob on campus, kids were cheering, crying, burning couches, flipping cars (yes those last 2 things are true!). And for once, the school came together as a whole.

So who am I going to root for this year you ask? Well with UCONN on a terrible loosing streak (God we miss you Kemba!) and possibly missing the NCAA tournament its obvious I will be cheering on my Blue Devils. There is always a possibilty that UCONN will make the tournament so in that case I will root for both and if by a slim chance they play eachother, I will be rooting for Duke. If I were at school I would have to hide this, but I'm not and they are and always will be my team.

We miss you Kemba!

The one and only Coach K

Big East Tournament begins Tuesday March 6 at Madison Square Garden and the ACC tournament begins Thursday March 8 in Atlanta.
Let the Madness Begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment