Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Momma's Irish Soda Bread

Irish Soda Bread 

I am Irish and everyone knows the Irish are terrible cooks. All the Irish know how to cook is meat and potatoes, so surprisingly my mom is a pretty good cook. And when it comes to cooking a classic Irish food, my mom makes a mean Irish Soda Bread. She makes it throughout the year so we don't go through withdrawals too badly but its not like she makes it every other week. 
On Christmas morning its a tradition that we have it for breakfast, toasted with butter and a big cup of coffee. This year she almost didn't make one because we were at our friends' house for Christmas Eve dinner but I pitched a fit and she made one. Obviously she makes it every year for St. Patrick's Day but we also have it for Easter and Thanksgiving. It's a Jones family tradition to have soda bread at almost every holiday. 
So with St. Patrick's Day just around the corner, my mom is getting ready to start baking up a storm. She's got her list of people who get one every year. I think she is even going to let me help this time. I've only made one before and it came out terrible because I am the baker in the family! In celebration of St. Patrick's Day, I want to share my mom's recipe with you all and hope you give it a try! You WON'T be disappointed!

Ingredients:
    1 cup sugar
    4 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    4 cups flour
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    3 Tbsp Caraway seeds
    1 box of raisins (small box)

Directions:
1. I large mixing bowl ift sugar, baking powder, salt and flour. In a smaller bowl combine eggs and milk. Add to flour mixture and stir with fork until well mixed. Add in caraway seeds and raisins and stir until well combined. 
2. Place on a greased cookie sheet- do not form into any shape, any way it comes out is fine. 
3. Bake at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes until golden brown on top

Enjoy!
xoxo Katelynn




No comments:

Post a Comment